Project Fact Sheet
U.S. Routes 2/7 (U.S. 2/7) in Colchester from Winooski town line north 1.05 miles to Sunderland Woods Road.
The Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans) is improving the roadway along the U.S. 2/7 corridor, in the vicinity of Interstate 89 (I-89) Exit 16, to enhance mobility and safety in Colchester, Vermont. The core of the project is to reconfigure the existing tight diamond interchange to a Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) at I-89 Exit 16.
Additional improvements include:
- Adding turn lanes at the Mountain View Drive, Hercules Drive and Rathe Road intersections.
- Construction of dedicated pedestrian and shared pedestrian/bicycle facilities such as sidewalks and shared-use paths.
- Modernizing traffic signals at South Park Drive, I-89 Exit 16, Mountain View Drive, Hercules Drive, Rathe Road, and at Tigan Street in Winooski City.
WHAT IS A DDI?
A Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) is an innovative, modern interchange design that can relieve traffic congestion and improve safety for drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians.
In a DDI, traffic crosses to the left side of the roadway allowing for ease of access to the interstate by eliminating difficult left turns. With traffic diverted to the left side of the roadway, vehicles making a left onto the interstate entrance ramps do not have to cross oncoming traffic, creating fewer conflict points. The reduction of conflict points reduces potential user collisions, thus improving safety and vehicle throughput. With left turn movements operating freely within the DDI, the traffic signals no longer require dedicated left turn phasing, improving overall traffic operations at the interchange. Additional benefits include reducing driver discomfort, fuel consumption, and lost time. Raised islands within the interchange create short crossing distances, which increase overall safety for non-motorized users such as pedestrians and bicyclists.
The project is estimated to cost approximately $14 million.
In addition to the safety and operational benefits of the DDI, the construction of a DDI is cost effective. The DDI can be constructed utilizing the existing bridge structures eliminating the need to modify or replace them, reducing construction costs. The construction schedule of a DDI is much shorter than the construction of more common interchanges not only reducing overall cost, but also impacts to the traveling public.
Construction of the Exit 16 DDI project will be completed in two phases under two separate contracts which will be executed sequentially. The first phase of construction will begin in Winter 2023 and will consist mainly of utility relocation, ledge removal, retaining wall and drainage work. The second phase of construction is anticipated to begin in Fall 2024 after the completion of Phase 1 and will focus on the roadway construction including the installation of the DDI, the addition of turning lanes, and the implementation of pedestrian and bicycle accommodations. The project is anticipated to be completed by Summer 2026.
During construction, weekly Construction Updates will be distributed to notify the public of construction activities and travel conditions for the following week. Project Updates and Traffic Alerts will be issued on an as needed basis throughout the life of the project. Sign-up to receive project updates on our website: www.Exit16DDI.vtransprojects.vermont.gov.
Contractor: S.D. Ireland Brothers Corporation
VTrans Project Manager: Michael LaCroix
VTrans Resident Engineer: Chris Lavalette
Email us info@Exit16DDI.vtransprojects.vermont.gov
or call our 24-hour project hotline 802-595-4399.
September 28, 2012
November 28, 2016
Right of Way Clear
Target Construction Schedule
Phase 1 Work
Winter 2023 - Spring 2024
Phase 2 Work
Fall 2024 - Summer 2026
Construction Update & Traffic Alert Archive
Project Progress Photos (61)
Driving Animations (6)
Project Plan Sheets
Proposed Changes to Route 2/7 at I-89 Exit 16 in Colchester
- I-89 Exit 16 Diverging Diamond Complete Intersection
- Colchester HES NH 5600(14) Route 2/7 and I-89 Exit 16 Diverging Diamond Interchange
- Colchester HES NH 5600(14) Route 2/7 from Mountain View to Hercules
- Colchester HES NH 5600(14) Route 2/7 from Hercules to Rathe
- Colchester HES NH 5600(14) Route 2/7 from Rathe to Sunderland Woods
Public Information Posters
Colchester Selectboard Meeting January 24, 2023
- Colchester Selectboard Meeting Presentation - January 24, 2023
- LCATV Colchester Selectboard Meeting Recording - January 24, 2023
Construction Public Meeting January 12, 2023
- Construction Public Meeting Presentation - January 12, 2023
- Construction Public Meeting Minutes - January 12, 2023
- Construction Public Meeting Recording - January 12, 2023
- LCATV Construction Public Meeting Recording - January 12, 2023
Winooski City Council Meeting January 9, 2023
- Winooski City Council Meeting Presentation - January 9, 2023
- Winooski City Council Meeting Recording - January 9, 2023
Colchester Selectboard Meeting September 24, 2019
There are no maps available at this time. Please check back.